People tend to put a lot of pressure on themselves to do things before they’re 30. As I have about 2.5 years before than milestone, I sort of understand their mindset. But on the other hand I think that’s a good way to stress yourself out! Surely life doesn’t suddenly implode at the age of 30… Right?! That being said I do have a “want to do list”, but I don’t think there should be a time limit, which if exceeded; I have failed miserably at life. Thinking this way will hopefully save me from the impending doom and probable anxiety attack on my 30th.
Some people would call this a bucket list, but I think the term “bucket list” (i.e. things you would like to do before you kick the bucket) seems a little bit morbid. “To do list” seems a little friendlier. As I have a bajillion things I would actually like to do, I’ve shaved it down to my top 8. There’s no specific order to these, just a list. So here it goes…
- Visit all 7 continents – I’m well on my way to that goal, as of December 2012 my last unvisited continent will be Asia. I know I’m doing things slightly backward.
- Go on an African Safari and see the big 5 – I think growing up with the Lion King being one of my favorite movies and obsessions probably motivated this one. I guess the Discovery Channel didn’t help either.
- See OVERHEAD (not in the distance or horizon) the Aurora Borealis and/or the Aurora Australis – I am so incredibly obsessed with this that I check Spaceweather.com religiously. Yeah I know it’s a little sick haha.
- Cage dive with great whites – This was supposed to be my 26th birthday present to myself that I never did. I ended up quitting my job and taking a 2.5 month jaunt through Europe and North Africa instead. I guess I cant be too mad at myself. Regardless though, I’m still strangely drawn to this, thanks shark week..
- Speak Japanese with a Japanese person while in Japan – I spent my 4 years of high school and another 2 in university studying the Japanese language. I gave up an opportunity to live in Japan my senior year of high school because I was too afraid. (definitely my one and only life regret..) So for the last 14 or so years it’s been a dream of mine to visit Japan. It boggles my mind as to why I haven’t been yet.
- See the red crab migration on Christmas Island in Australia – This would have to be another side effect of watching the Discovery Channel as a kid.. I’ve been intrigued with this since I was in elementary school.
- Trek the Himalayas – Who wouldn’t want to see with their own eyes the largest mountains on earth??
- SCUBA dive with Whale Sharks – This is another trip that I’ve been toying with for the last 3 years or so. Ever since I got SCUBA certified I’ve wanted to do this.